1-514-399-5101 OR Buy Tickets Online
U.S. Visitor Information U.S. Visitor Information

U.S. Visitor Information

Crossing the Border

Crossing the border into Canada and back into the United States is a fairly simple and straightforward process as long as you provide the proper identification.

Only passports or WHTI-compliant documents will be accepted when entering Canada or re-entering the United States. For more information on the WHTI, please visit

As well, you will be asked by a Canada Border Services or U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer a few questions to establish your citizenship and the purpose of your trip.

WHTI-Compliant Documents for US Citizens

U.S. Citizens can present a valid: Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program Card (NEXUS or FAST); U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when travelling in conjunction with official Maritime business or U.S. Military Identification Card when traveling on official orders.

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.

U.S. Passport Card

Issued by:    U.S. Department of State
Limitations:    Not valid for international air travel
Cost:    $55 Age 16 & Older, $40 Under Age 16, $30 for Holders of a U.S. passport
Validity:    10 Years Age 16 & Older, 5 Years under Age 16

U.S. Passport

Cost:    $135 Age 16 & Older, $105 Age 16
Validity:    10 Years Age 16 & Older, 5 Years under Age 16

Enhanced Driver’s License

Issued by:    Individual State or Province
Limitations:    Not valid for international air travel
Cost:    $15 to $30 above cost of regular driver’s license
Validity:    Will vary by State or Province
Info:    Visit your State or Provincial government website

Trusted Traveller Program (NEXUS Card*)

For pre-approved, low-risk travelers crossing the U.S./Canada Border.
* Note - requires additional application processes including interview and fingerprinting.

Issued by:    U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Added Benefits:    Access to dedicated commuter lanes on the northern border and expedited marine reporting; access to NEXUS kiosks at designated Canadian Airports
Cost:    $50
Validity:    5 Years
Info:    Apply online at

U.S. Residents Leaving Canada

  • After a 48 hour stay in Canada you may return to the U.S. with $800 U.S. worth of goods duty free per person. Goods include; 35 oz. liquor, 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars.
  • Family members may combine their personal $800 exemptions.
  • Under 48 hours the exemption is $200 U.S. per person per day.
  • More than 48 hours the exemption is $800 U.S. per person.

For more detailed border crossing information contact:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection at (906) 632-2631 or visit

Canada Border Protection Services Agency at (705) 941-3063 or visit

Currency Exchange

To obtain the best rate of exchange we recommend using a credit card for purchases or exchanging your currency at your bank or financial institution prior to entering Canada. Once in Canada, currency can be exchanged at any bank.

What you can bring into Canada

Duty free articles that may be brought into Canada are: wearing apparel and personal effects, sporting goods (up to 200 rounds of ammunition), up to 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes, 400 grams of tobacco, 40 imperial ounces of alcohol or wine or 288 imperial ounces of beer or ale (case of 24) per adult, cameras (with reasonable amount of film), reasonable food supply per person and a full tank of gasoline. Note: all articles above allowed quantities are subject to import duties.


Pistols, fully automatic weapons and firearms less than 26 inches in length are prohibited entry into Canada (exceptions are hand guns used by participants in bona fide marksmanship competitions).

Most sporting rifles and shot guns can be admitted without a permit if visitors are sixteen years of age or older. A description of all guns and serial numbers must be submitted to Canada Customs. 200 rounds of ammunition can be admitted duty free.

Vehicles & Driving

  • Seat belts are mandatory for anyone weighing over 40 lbs. and car seats are required for children less than 40 lbs.
  • Radar detectors and studded tires are illegal in Ontario.
  • Right turns are permitted on a red light after a complete stop unless otherwise posted.
  • Speed limits and distances are posted in kilometres (1 mile = 1.62 km).
  • Liquid fuels are sold by the litre (1 U.S. gallon = 3.8 litres).